Elementary might not be the place for me…

October28

I recently spent several hours in another elementary library.  What I experienced was vastly different than my first visit a few weeks ago in Ohio. 

The Librarian taught 3 classes in the 5 hours I was there – Kindergarten, first, and second grades.  She had a prepared lesson about bats, including a story, google slides of grade-appropriate bat information, and a listening activity where they heard a 30-second audio clip of bat sounds.  The kids even got to try out their own arm bat-flapping exercise for a bit. Then in Kindergarten they drew bats while in 1st and 2nd grade they completed a worksheet about bat information.  I enjoyed observing, circulating, and then helping the littles with their drawings or worksheets.  I was looking forward to seeing them browse around the library to choose their book(s) for the week and helping where I could.

But then the librarian directed each grade to a different cart where she had previously selected books for them.  The kids were to choose a book from the cart that she had placed up front by her.

Disbelief.  Sad heart.  They only had 2-3 minutes to select a book(s) from the cart and then get it checked out, then it was line-up time and out the door they went.

The majority of their library time was spent having a lesson with very minimal time to look at any books – and then they only looked at books pre-selected by her.

She later explained her process when selecting books for each grade level. Basically, she selected about 40-45 books per grade level, and used those books for each grade-level class and as they were returned, she put them back on the cart for the next class.  She said that this way, a batch of books were used for several weeks before she swapped them out for new ones.

I kept my poker face on.  I plastered a smile on my face.  I empathized with her situation.  She explained that since she is evaluated (harshly, in her opinion) on a teaching rubric, that it is expected she teach lessons for each class, each time they come in.  She says the lessons take most of her time with each class, leaving little time for book exploration.

I tentatively asked if the kids ever get to browse the [small] library to choose their own books in case something on the cart does not interest them.  Do they get to use the online catalog to search for authors or books they enjoy?  She stated no.  She is the only librarian at this 350-student school and does not have volunteers or any aides to help keep the library organized and picked up and shelved.  Tuesday – Thursday she has full days with classes/lessons.  Mondays and Fridays are her “flex” days where she prepares lessons, shelves, swaps cart books if needed, and helps around the school as needed. She does not collaborate with teachers. She is an island.

I am not judging.  This librarian is doing the best she can.  The expectations placed on her has her compromising her own desire to have kids browse and explore books.

I think if I were in her situation I would try to have shorter lessons and allow more time to explore books.  Can’t browsing books be an activity on that evaluation rubric?  I feel like it would be hard to encourage a love of reading with such harsh limitations.

Note to self: do not apply for an elementary school library position in this district.

by posted under Uncategorized | No Comments »    

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar